Sunday, November 15, 2009

Everything begins somewhere...

I know I have been wanting to blog for a while now. Every time I blog, I say something to the effect of how "I feel the need to put my thoughts in written form..."

I seem to never get past that first post to put me on the path to writing. I tell myself that papers are where I am the weakest in school. That is the first problem right there, I tell myself I can't or I struggle with...

I was listening to John Maxwell on cd the other day. Someone was talking to him about how they wanted to start writing but that they did not know how he could do it. John told the person to just start writing. He explained that his first book took him a year to write and it was only a hundred pages long. Each chapter he wrote was only about 3 or 4 pages long and he explained that it was a stretch for him to write those short chapters. He says it himself his first book was horrible.

After writing his first book John found someone to mentor him in writing. His mentor worked hard with him for two years and look how good a writer he is today. Just start writing.

That made me think about other things I want to learn and accomplish. We make up reasons or excuses for why we can't do things and tell ourselves that to the point that they become true instead of looking for why or how we can.

Truth is everything begins somewhere. When will you stop making excuses and just start writing?

No comments: